Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Baby Born to Die

I love Christmas time.  Ask anyone who knows me only a little and they will tell you that it is my favorite time of the year.  Everything about it brings me great joy; the beautiful decorations, the happy cheer in stores, the ringing of bells, the yummy treats, the elegant colors, the many surprises, the expectancy of family all being together.  While schedules are always so busy during the holidays, the air seems to be filled with such peace and joy.  I love it. 




But as I sit in my room tonight by the twinkling lights around my window, I have on my mind something which makes all the delights of Christmas become as dust in comparison; my Lord Jesus Christ.  The Savior who came as a babe.  This year I have been dwelling on Him much more than any other Christmas.  I can't get my mind off one incredible fact... this Baby was born to die.  The sole purpose of His coming was to die, to hang on that cross for our sins.  He came ultimately to suffer and die, to face the Father's wrath in our place.  This is reality, this is truth, this is the beauty of the Savior.  And this is Christmas, we would have no reason to celebrate the birth of this baby if He did not die.




One of my favorite Christmas songs is Bebo Norman's "Born to Die".  The last verse so beautifully portrays the depth of what Jesus' death has done for us; depraved sinners.


"And the angles filled the sky
All of heaven wondered why
Why their King would choose to be
Be a baby born to die
...
To break the chains
Of guilt and sin
To find us here, to pull us in
So we can join in Heaven's song
And with one voice around the throne"

Because of His death we are free, the chains of sin are broken.  And because we are covered in His blood we will come before the throne of God with no guilt or shame.  All praise and glory to Jesus, our intercessor - the baby born to die. 

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst... Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.  Amen."  I Timothy 1:15, 17


And so as you and I enjoy the delights and blessings of Christmas, may He remain our North Star.  May the incredible beauty of our Jesus be fervently pressed on our hearts and minds.  May we die to self so that Christ may more fully live in us.  May our celebration be worship to the King of Kings, the Savior who was born to die

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Lord is so funny sometimes for teaching His saints the same things sometimes. I was so struck by the same truth in the past week, just thinking of the obedience of Christ in knowing He was born to die, of the submission of Mary to have a child who was born to die. What an example to us! "It is amid what the obedience of His people has wrought that God delights to dwell; it is the obedient He crowns with His favor and presence" (Andrew Murray). Praise be to the Lord that His obedience is counted for our righteousness! It was this song, by Shane and Shane, which really made me think of the "Born to Die" concept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0DiqAD9Xfc