Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Almost Christian


Time is flying by here at Ellerslie, yet at the same time every day is long and full.  My favorite advanced class right now is "Greatest Sermons" in which we listen to and read through some amazing sermons by men of old; A.W. Tozer, Johnathan Edwards, Major Ian Thomas, Martin Luther...  I never thought I would have enjoyed and learned so much by reading these old sermons!  Thanks to Ben Zornes (who is teaching this class) I've have a new desire to read sermons!
One sermon that has greatly impacted and challenged me is "The Almost Christian" by John Wesley.  The basis is that you can have all forms of godliness, live morally pure and "believe" in the Gospel yet merely be an almost Christian. It convicted me in many ways as I look at the motives and my "forms of godliness".  If you have some extra time and would like to read some convicting words form Wesley, I found the sermon text online
http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umhistory/wesley/sermons/2/.  It is old language and takes time to follow but it's well worth it!  I do encourage you to at least read the quote below.


Following is a quote as Wesley begins to do describe what the difference is between an almost Christian and the absolute Christian.  There are many things but first and foremost it is the love of God:

“...what is implied in the being altogether a Christian?" I answer first, the love of God.  For thus saith his word, "Thou shalt love the Lord they God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all they strength." Such a love as this, as engrosses the whole heart, as rakes up all the affections, as fills the entire capacity of the soul and employs the utmost extent of all its faculties.  He that thus loves the Lord his God, his spirit continually “rejoiceth in God his Savior.”  His delight is in the Lord, his Lord and his All, to whom “in everything he giveth thanks.  All his desire is unto God, and to the remembrance of his name.”  His heart is ever crying out, Whom have I in heaven but Thee?  And there is none upon earth that I desire beside Thee.”  Indeed, what can he desire beside God?
Not the world, or the things of the world; for he is "crucified to the world, and the world crucified to him."  He is crucified to "the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eye, and the pride of life."  Yea, he is dead to pride of every kind: for "love is not puffed up" but "he that dwelling in love, dwelleth in God and God in Him”, is less than nothing in his own eyes."

2 comments:

decembercaravan said...

one of my favorite books is called "Meet the Master" - which are a collection of sermons by Peter Marshall. I love reading sermons of men and women who have such incredible faith. The Lord definitely continues to use them in many christians lives!

decembercaravan said...

I would love to hear more about what is going on!! How are you doing?? Have thought of you often and pray for you all the time! Hope you are doing well!!:)
Rebecca